Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Women's Caucus

Tuesday I attended the Women's Caucus. I missed a lot of it because I'm still trying to navigate. Donna Brazile, mentioned earlier, spoke. Donna is a superdelegate who commentates for CNN and kept quiet about who she was supporting for President. I didn't hear her, but Dana told me she spoke about signing the petition to make sure that Hillary Clinton's name is placed into nomination. She said (paraphrasing because I wasn't there, and remember I don't do quotes so well anyway) she did it for Shirley Chisolm, she did it for Stephanie Tubbs-Jones (who was a Clinton supporter), and she did it for the unity of the party.

I think there are a lot of Obama supporters who just don't get how allowing a floor vote for Clinton will help with party unity, but as a Clinton delegate, it makes perfect sense. A lot of people just need to be able to vote for the person they were elected to vote for, and not feel like they are being silenced. I hope that makes sense. It is not whining, it is not about catharsis, or whatever else the pundits are saying.

No comments: