Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Revisiting Yesterday

There are just a couple of things from the events yesterday that I forgot to mention.

Another featured speaker at the Unconventional Women event was Congresswoman Hilda Solis from California. I specifically wanted to mention her because of her work on the issue of violence against women and helping to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act in 2005. My work is about domestic violence, and VAWA has helped us to make huge strides in the services that are available for all those who experience violence at the hands of an intimate partner. Domestic violence, especially among the immigrant community, is something that is a big issue in Solis' district, and I appreciate her committment to it.

And Donna Brazile spoke, who is just Donna Brazile - she is amazing. She is speaking at a lot of stuff this week. BTW, it's a good thing I'm not a professional reporter because I am terrible about getting quotes right. So, she said some really cool stuff, but that was about 36 hours ago and I've heard a lot more stuff since then.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi was also a big highlight of the speakers at the convention yesterday. They played clips of when she was elected as Speaker in 2006 and had her grandchildren all around her. I cannot see that moment and not totally tear up (why yes, I do cry at everything).

Something else that I thought was a cool feature was that among all of the politicians who spoke, they scattered regular people who were just there to tell their stories against the backdrop American Voices: American Values.

No comments: